Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I'm "bug" sitting

When Randy called and asked if we would be around for awhile so we could "bug" sit, I had to say yes, since we've done all our running around already for July! :) So today he gets to our house with two 10 gallon fish tanks. Filled with WALKING STICKS!! One fish tank has just the regular walking sticks in it... last count about 20 minutes ago was around 20 of em in there! The other slightly larger tank has the Australian walking sticks in it (male and female)! plus a few regular walking sticks! Let me tell ya the Australian ones are FuNkY!! They are huge as in about 4 inches in length and "ugly"! see for yourself! The skinny one is the male (who has wings and WILL fly! eek!) the fat one is a female!

I'm not much of a bug person..but we do personally own two of the walking sticks thanks to Randy.. Also in our "care" is two petri dishes of eggs from the Australian walking sticks. I'm really hoping they don't hatch while in our care! eek!!

On to more important things! I'm so proud of Ana and her friend Leanne! They have been working on ideas to improve the little park where we live for over a year now. Well last night they were on the agenda to address the city council. They had it all put together! Pictures of the current stuff in the park. A speech all written out with Ana and Leanne taking turns reading it. It had a list of things they wanted to see. More swings, garbage can, drinking fountain, merry go round, picnic table (preferably covered), a better slide that isn't so dangerous etc. Also asked them to install children at play signs to hopefully slow down some of the "speedy" traffic on our hill. The mayor seemed quite impressed at how well they were prepared and such. We found out that some of the things they requested could probably be done with little or no expense to the city! Such as they have a surplus merry go round that they could install! fun! Also the mayor discussed that this is the year for grants and maybe they(the city) could write a grant to fund some of the improvements. All in all is was a great experience for the girls. I'm so proud of them I'm about to burst! Especially since I had little or nothing to do with the writing or such.. just support! I was even gone for technical support and Jill had to help them print the pictures to show the council! (thanks Jill!) Check out the cute pictures of all the kids who went to support each other in this adventure! Hopefully we can see some results here soon!


I'll leave with a little reminder of Karina's birthday bash on Sunday! It's a family gathering so bring all the siblings, mom, and dad and join us in our 2 hour rental of the pool! Don't forget to bring your floaties or pool toys! After swimming Brett is going to BBQ a few dogs or such in the little covered area by the pool followed by cake!! :) Can't believe she'll be EIGHT!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'm so proud of the girls!!! I hear that there are already improvements! Way to go Ana and Leanne!